Ver Se Innovation Private Limited, also popularly known as DailyHunt, is an unlisted private company. Dailyhunt, an application that provides regional language news and eBooks; and iPayy, a carrier-based billing platform for mobile applications that provides a payment vehicle for digital goods and services. The business model of Dailyhunt involves its business plan, revenue model, its competitors, SWOT Analysis and many more.
Virendra Kumar Gupta has been on the board for more than 15 years. It allows users to browse photos and videos, discover news on sports, politics, business, entertainment, lifestyle, and more. Additionally, users can share news feeds with friends and family on social media.
Dailyhunt turned into India’s first tech unicorn focused on local languages on December 21, 2020.
From the nation’s biggest news source to hyperlocal correspondents, it curates news that you will surely love to watch. Almost 90% of the users use the platform in regional languages. It serves more than 350 million users a month, as per the latest reports. The unique proposition is that the users can browse the topics of their interest and also share news over different social media platforms like Whatsapp, Facebook, etc.
DailyHunt consists of two Business Models
- Impressions Based (News): DailyHunt has partnerships with big news media and publishing houses where it shares the profit with them, earned on the news screens.
- Transactions Based (Books, Magazines, and Singles): It has partnerships with book and magazine publishers, where it acts as a dealer for these books, collect the profit from the users and gives it to the publishers who can share it with the authors as well.
The company acts as a news aggregator through Dailyhunt, they also have another entity called Greynium Technologies that house news and various other platforms that provide content such as CareerIndia, OneIndia, Boldsky.com, Gizbot, etc. The Dailyhunt group has a huge base of content providers which include 100K content partners, news content published in 14 different languages by content creators producing 250K news every day.
The top traffic source to dailyhunt is search traffic, driving 51.50% of desktop visits last month, and direct is the 2nd with 46.31% of traffic. The most underutilized channel is ads.
Dailyhunt is free for users who want to read the news and other relevant content from the app. It generates revenue from:
- Impressions Based (News): Tie-ups with large news media and publishing houses wherein Dailyhunt shares the advertising revenue on the news screens with these players.
- Transactions Based (Books, Magazines, and Singles): Tie-ups with book and magazine publishers, wherein the platform acts as a distributor for these books, collects the revenue from the users and shares it with the publishers who in turn may share it with the authors.
- In-App Advertisements: Dailyhunt also earns from the advertisements of the companies and startups that feature on the app.
Dailyhunt’s closest competitor in India is Google News. Here is the list of some of the competitors of Dailyhunt:
- Smart News
- Google News
- Has a limited presence in Southern India as compared to the rest of India.
- Huge opportunity in Regional Languages space.
- Better usage and interaction with online and mobile mediums.
Dailyhunt runs many marketing campaigns to reach its targeted audience. Some of the campaigns are mentioned below for your knowledge.
- Aur Kya Chal Raha Hai – This campaign was launched in October 2015. This campaign they created to as a rebranding campaign. As it NewsHunt was renamed Dailyhunt in 2015.
- News ka Daily Dose
- #HarBhashaEqual – Launched in August 2018, this highly innovative digital campaign highlighted our in-built bias against our vernacular languages and aimed at promoting language equality in India.
- #KhudKiSochBanao – Published on social media in March 2019 ahead of the General Elections, this film by Dailyhunt urges people to make their own opinions and not be parroting that repeat what’s fed to them.
- #DailyhuntHaiNa – The campaign reaches out to millennials across India, through fresh, young and quirky videos using humor to connect with them and to highlight the core benefits of Dailyhunt.
Dailyhunt has seen significant growth in the news aggregator market and through its unique approach to providing content in different languages, the company was able to stand out from its competitors.