Think And Grow Rich is one of the best-selling books of all time. It examines the psychological power of thought and the brain in the process of furthering your career for both monetary and personal satisfaction.
The main idea behind the book is to perform this set to acquire success.
“Set your mind on a definite goal and observe how quickly the world stands aside to let you pass.”
– NAPOLEON HILL
Desire + Ideas + Plans + Massive Action = Success
It took Hill, 25 years to create the book.
The contents of the book included:
- Auto suggestion
- Specialized knowledge
- Organized Planning
- Power of the Master mind
- The mystery of Sex Transmutation
- The subconscious Mind
- The brain
- The sixth sense
- How to outwit the Six Ghosts of Fear
The initial parts of the book focuses on the “BURNING DESIRE TO WIN”.
Steps to work for your Desires:
- Be definite as to the amount of money or type of job.
- Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the money you desire.
- Establish a definite date when you intend to attain the money you desire.
- Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire and begin at once.
- Write out a clear, concise statement of the amount of money you intend to acquire, name the time limit, state what you intend to give in return, and describe the plan through which you plan to accumulate it.
- Read your written statement aloud, twice daily.
By helping the owner of a company or a manager achieve their goals as an employee, you also advance your own goals, because you progressively start excelling at the area of interest.
Unwavering faith is a fantastic asset to have. According to Napoleon, individuals who have an unwavering faith are generally those who will do whatever it takes to achieve their goals. This is because you cannot achieve success without self-confidence. Napoleon gives the example of Mahatma Gandhi to support the power of faith and self-confidence. Gandhi did not have access to the typical instruments of power: money and the military.
By encouraging positive emotions and eliminating negative emotions such as doubt, denial, and fear, on the other hand, faith can be a useful tool in various ways:
- It is an antidote for failure.
- By believing in yourself, others will believe in you, too.
- Employers seek successful, confident people who can make a positive impact.
The principle of auto-suggestion communicates our desires directly to the subconscious mind in a spirit of unshakable faith. No plan is perfect. When you execute your plan, you will likely experience a temporary defeat. The best way to approach defeat is to simply accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound. Rebuild your plans and keep pursuing your goal, armed with the knowledge of your previous failures. There are 2 types of imaginations:
Creative Imagination – This type of imagination is what helps us come up with new ideas. This type of imagination starts from nothing and creates something unique. This type of imagination can only be reached when your conscious mind is being stimulated through desire. It’s a muscle that must be trained.
Synthetic Imagination – This type of imagination utilizes old ideas to create new concepts. For example, Sony developers used the technology from journalists’ dictaphones to create the first portable music player: the Walkman. Nothing is created in this form of imagination because it works with existing mental material.
These two types of imagination complement each other.
Successful people reach decisions promptly and definitely, changing their mind slowly. They know what they want and, generally, get it. Our subconscious can shape us positively by providing us with strength and resilience.
The basis of persistence is the power of will, and it’s also influenced by other factors, such as:
- Definiteness of purpose
- Definiteness of plans
- Accurate knowledge
Sex has three constructive potentialities:
- Perpetuation of mankind
- Maintenance of health
- Transformation of mediocrity into genius through transmuting
To gain control over your subconscious mind, form the habit of applying and using to your advantage these positive emotions:
The understanding of the sixth sense comes only by meditation, through mind development from within. Once you’ve mastered the sixth sense, you will be able to receive warnings about impending dangers in time to avoid them and get notified of opportunities in time to embrace them.
To become successful on a large-scale, you will need smart people who can support you. Napoleon describes this collaboration as a brain trust. Brain trust is a union of like-minded intelligent people. The brain trust should have a common goal.
Faith is the glue that holds it all together.
About the Author
- He was born on October 26, 1883 in Pound, Southeast Virginia.
- He worked as “mountain reporter” in the rural areas.
- He studied law but couldn’t afford to graduate.
- He had many ventures in his tenure. Some failed, some became grand success.
- He has 2 successful books.
- He was married 3 times.
- He had 3 sons.
- He died at the age of 70, on 8th November 1970.